Malik attended Birmingham High School (now known as Birmingham Community Charter High School) in Van Nuys, CA where he excelled in academics and played football. In 2007, Jackson was named to the Super Prep All-Farwest, Prep Star All-West, and Cal-Hi Sports All-State first team. Jackson was also named Los Angeles Daily News All-Area Co-Defensive MVP.
To give back to the community that supported him throughout his high school career, Malik created Nahla’s Gift. Nahla’s Gift is a scholarship program named in honor of his daughter, Nahla, that is designed specifically for graduating high school seniors of Birmingham Community Charter High School with a demonstrated financial need to help fulfill their dream of attending a 2- or 4-year college, university, or those interested in vocational training.
WHO WE FUND
WHO WE FUND
Most frequent questions and answers
Nahla’s Gift scholarship is open to Birmingham Community Charter High School graduating high school senior students only that will be attending an accredited vocational school, 2-year college, or 4-year college.
To apply, you must do the following:
- Completed application (submitted electronically online)
- Essay of 250 words (see topic in application section) or optional video
- Proof of financial need
- Proof of enrollment at appropriate institution based on the scholarship you are applying for
- Proof of FAFSA application completion
- Valid state or student ID card
You should be prepared to submit:
- Two letters of recommendation (can be from a counselor AND one letter from either of the following: teacher, coach, volunteer coordinator, or after school program administrator)
- Official HS transcript
- Proof of a 2.5 minimum cumulative GPA
To apply, you must be:
- A U.S. citizen.
- Attending a recognized and accredited 2-year or 4-year institution of higher education, or an accredited vocational training school.
- Provide at least two (2) recommendation letters written by a teacher, counselor, school administrator, clergy, mentor, or activity coordinator.
- All supporting documents must be submitted online. No exceptions.